Monday, March 25, 2013

My Thoughts - Baby Shot And Killed While In Stroller. Us ... AGAIN?



When I heard the news I was just as appalled as everyone else. Who the heck shoots a baby in a stroller??? Really?! Then I hear the news that 'yet AGAIN' it's a crime allegedly committed by two African American males. 'Sigh'. Should they get the death penalty if convicted? Life in prison at the least? Honestly? If it were my child that it happened to, either of those would be preferable to what I would really want. 30 mins with me and them locked in a closed room. Of course that's my carnal side talking, but hey, what Father wouldn't secretly desire the same thing.

Let's assume that they will get the worst possible sentence if found guilty, the death penalty. There you go. They're dead. Truthfully, I'm not shedding a tear. Does that solve the problem though? Maybe for the mom (who incidentally was shot as well) that is seeking justice for this senseless crime. But what about solving the REAL problem?

WHERE ARE THE FATHERS??

Until we deal with the core issue, OUR sons will continually be trapped in a never ending downward cycle. It is imperative that MEN take a proactive stance and put their hands on as many young boys as they can before the streets or the law do.

This seems simple. So why aren't we?

Truth is... black men are hurt, broken and in need of our own repairs. It's hard to give someone else a ride when YOUR tire is flat. It's something we typically don't admit. I'm even apprehensive to type it, but it's the cold truth. We need help, and until we get it, I'm afraid NOTHING will change.

But that's why God has given me this burning passion for my fellow brethren. Not as a guy who has all the answers, but as a guy who has a platform and resources to find the answers. I know that when you get MEN, you get the FAMILY. A woman will submit to a strong, Godly man who loves and cherishes her. Children will respect a father who loves them and will guide then with his hand and his presence. He just needs help in getting out of his own way so that he can get into God's plan for his life.

I can help. It's my calling... and it's time to DO something.

Keep listening for more details as I plan to use my platform to DO SOMETHING!